Monday, April 6, 2009

The Best Kept Secret in Pipe Making

No doubt some pipe makers will hope to see written here some tidbit that will enhance their pipes and some collectors might wish for the "real" story on fills or, the like.
What I feel is the best thing about pipe making and often seems like a secret is in the realm of experiences.
That is to say, the friends I (we) have made. It seems that virtually everyone I meet in my pipe making endeavors either is or is becoming my friend.What a marvelous thing that is.
Sure, I absolutely crave working a block on the shaping wheel, but truly, that is not on the same level as how great it feels to go to a show and see someone I haven't seen since last year.
Those of you that go to the shows know what I mean: those great characters, collectors, vendors and organizers that most of us only meet once or twice a year. Amongst the members of this fraternity it is almost a cliche to say that pipe people are the friendliest in the world. (cliches become such because of the truth they convey) My experience supports this statement 100‰.
The upcoming Chicagoland Pipe Expo is a fine example. I tell folks when I was a child, I had Christmas. As an adult, I have the Chicago show.
Where else in the world can you have a jammed bar full of people from all over the globe, both sexes, eighteen to 90+ in age range, dozens of religions, political philosophies, speaking several different languages - nearly all drunk- and not one fight, conflict, or even a harsh word?
Yes, I believe, if not the best kept secret in pipe making, the friends we all make is, for me, the best aspect of pipe making. I feel very, very fortunate to have found this in my life.
When I am up at 3:30am, rushing to finish that last piece before catching a plane in a couple of hours to get to a show, it is the thought of seeing you all again that makes it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment